Welcome to the Entrepreneurship Club at the University of South Carolina! Over the last 20 years students at the Darla Moore School of Business have had opportunities to get involved in entrepreneurial projects. In addition, students have a range of entrepreneurial classes that they can take at the Moore School. Finally, with the advent of the University of South Carolina Technology Incubator, we decided in 2008 to found the club to focus students' interest in entrepreneurship and foster more opportunities to create their own businesses.
The Entrepreneurship Club at the University of South Carolina has a mission to foster and support student entrepreneurship. The club meets four to six times a semester and the meetings are both professional and social.
Over the past year, some of the activities have included:
- A special session with Ben and Jerry (Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield) the ice cream moguls who visited the University of South Carolina in January of 2010.
- A presentation by Robert Fletcher, Venture Capitalist in residence at the Moore School, about the history and current state of the venture capital industry.
- A session where several episodes of the ABC show "Shark Tank," were reviewed, evaluating and discussing the concepts presented by the entrepreneurs, as well as the analysisby the potential investors.
- Entrepreneurship Trivia Night, as club members competed for prizes
- An evening with Jim Kirkham, president and owner of Budweiser of Columbia.
- Joint meetings with Alpha Kappa Psi, one of two business fraternities at the Moore School.
- A panel discussion featuring current USC students already in business.
- End of the semester social events.
While most events are held at the Moore School, the club is open to all University of South Carolina students and includes a mix of business, engineering, journalism, and music majors, among others.
The first event for the fall semester of 2010 was held September 8 when the club hosted a Master Panel of Entrepreneurs, featuring some of the most successful entrepreneurs in South Carolina. For more information about events and the club in general, please contact Dean Kress, Associate Director of the Faber Entrepreneurship Center.
Darla Moore School of Business
1705 College Street
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Download PDF about the Entrepreneurship Club