The Palmetto Institute is an independent, nonpartisan and nonprofit research and educational organization established in February 2002. The central mission and singular goal of the Institute is to create a business, community, political and educational climate that will produce dramatic and sustained growth in the creation, distribution and retention of wealth for every person in South Carolina, as measured by the per capita income of its citizens. The Institute seeks to accomplish this serious endeavor by providing high quality, scholarly and academically sound research and policy options on issues of importance to South Carolina.
The Palmetto Institute is organized and operated as a 501(c) (3) entity and accepts donations from the membership of its Board of Directors, as well as board-approved donations from charitable and philanthropic organizations and private donations.
The Institute concentrates its focus on state and regional public policy issues. Continuing efforts of the Institute include:
The Palmetto Institute works in conjunction with the University of South Carolina on a number of issues. To learn more about the Palmetto Institute, please visit www.palmettoinstitute.org/.
- Conducting research on topics that affect future development and promote positive economic change within South Carolina;
- Fostering and facilitating productive collaboration among researchers from a variety of fields and disciplines;
- Disseminating research findings and conclusions to both scholarly and lay audiences;
- Offering practical, unbiased information and ideas on key public policy issues to citizens, policymakers and the media; and
- Assisting opinion leaders and policymakers in reaching informed decisions in matters that affect the future of South Carolina.